Hello friends. It was a busy weekend... filled with morrrrre snow!
Anyways, before I go off on another tangent about our terrible weather, let me tell you about our dinner last night.
It was another tomato sauce based recipe. Turkey meatballs with tomato sauce.
For the meatballs:
- 32 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder (all to your taste)
Mix all the ingredients together (with your hands works best), but don't over mix. Mix just until everything is combined. Form the mix into meatballs. I got 17 out of this recipe, and they were pretty big. Bake them on a greased baking sheet at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- big pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and let cook until soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for about a minute more. Then add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Don't skip out on the vinegar! It adds a great depth of flavor. Again, the longer you cook the sauce, the better it will taste. If it gets too thick, just add a little water.
You can serve this meal with spaghetti squash, pasta, or a salad like we had.
Here's what our backyard looks like with all the snow. They say we've had more snow this year than we've had in 20 years!
Makes me wanna cry looking at it....