Hope the last few days have been good for you. I've been busy wrapping up the end of my semester and getting ready for Christmas. Needless to say, it's been a busy few weeks.
I have a new recipe to share!
Sloppy Joes with or without the Bun
Nutritional stats: 257, 14.8 fat, 14.4 carbs, 15.9 protein
(adapted from this recipe)
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped)
2 celery stalks (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/4 cup ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan and set aside.
- Add the spices. Cook them with the beef for about a minute.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, and hot sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
Number of Servings: 6
I made this tonight for dinner. I was craving ground beef, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes. Even though this meal is much higher in fat and in carbs than I would like for dinner, it covered all of those bases! It has a great balance between sour and spicy flavors. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I did.
Speaking of carbs... now I know why I don't eat them for dinner any more! I felt completely exhausted right after we were finished eating. Good thing I hardly ever have carbs past 3 p.m. any more.
Have a great night everyone.