12.10.2010

Sloppy Joes Recipe

Hello everyone,
Hope the last few days have been good for you. I've been busy wrapping up the end of my semester and getting ready for Christmas. Needless to say, it's been a busy few weeks. 


I have a new recipe to share!


Sloppy Joes with or without the Bun
Nutritional stats: 257, 14.8 fat, 14.4 carbs, 15.9 protein 














(adapted from this recipe) 

    1 pound extra lean ground beef
    1 onion (chopped)
    2 carrots (chopped)
    2 celery stalks (chopped)
    4 cloves garlic (chopped)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon mustard
    1 tablespoons hot sauce
    1 tablespoon chili powder 
    1 teaspoon cumin
    salt and pepper to taste
  1. Brown the ground beef in a large pan and set aside.
  2. Add the spices. Cook them with the beef for about a minute. 
  3. Add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
  4. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
  5. Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, and hot sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
Serve with sweet potatoes, any bread you prefer, or just straight up! 

Number of Servings: 6

I made this tonight for dinner. I was craving ground beef, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes. Even though this meal is much higher in fat and in carbs than I would like for dinner,  it covered all of those bases! It has a great balance between sour and spicy flavors. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I did. 

Speaking of carbs... now I know why I don't eat them for dinner any more! I felt completely exhausted right after we were finished eating. Good thing I hardly ever have carbs past 3 p.m. any more. 

Have a great night everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. Mmm I haven't had sloppy joes in forever! Thank you for sharing! I've been getting pretty sick of my usual food so this might be on the menu for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete