2.26.2010

A Labor of Love

This morning it was time to pull out the steel-cut oats. Sometimes I just don't have the patience steel cut oats require. I mean we're talking 30-45 minutes plus on the cooking time of these things. That's a little much when my stomach is growling in the background! 

So I found a little trick to compensate for the cooking time. All I do is boil the oats for about two minutes the night before and leave them sit overnight. In my experience, this procedure cuts the cook time in half. This is what it looks like the next morning.

















Here's what my oats looked like.

























Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats with Coconut and Raisins

  • 1/4 (40g) cup steel cut oats
  • 1.5 cups water (could drop this down to 1 cup)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup cottage cheese
  • cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg - all to taste
  • 4 grams raisins
  • sprinkling of coconut 
Here it is after I smothered it in natural peanut butter. 

















It was creamy, and sweet - just the way I like my oatmeal. 

1 comment:

  1. shayna! this looks amazing!!
    can you give instructions on how to make these. step by step.
    for people like me who arent as brilliant in the kitchen!
    thanks girl!!

    ReplyDelete