3.14.2010

A How-to in Oatmeal

Morning!

Why is switching your clocks forward as terrible as it is? When my alarm went off this morning I felt like I could have slept at least another couple hours.

A few days ago, I got a comment asking me the steps to making my steel-cut oatmeal. I was so excited to get this question! So here is the answer.

Steel cut oats take about 45 minutes. This is much too long if you want a bowl of them on a weekday. This is what I do to speed up the cooking time.

Step 1: 

















I weigh out 40 grams of steel cut oats. This turns out to be a little less than 1/4 cup.

Step 2:

























Next I measure 1 cup of water.

Step 3:

















Combine the oats and the water in a pot. Cook the oats on high, with the lid on the pot, and boil for about 3-4 minutes. Watch the oats as they boil, the oats may boil over if unsupervised (something that happens to me almost every time I make them). After 3-4 minutes is over, turn of the heat and leave stand over night with the lid on the pot.

Step 4:

















In the next morning the oats should look something like this.

Turn the heat to medium, and add in whatever you like in your oats! This morning I added half an apple.


Other options could be pumpkin puree, half a banana, or berries. 

















I also added a little water to slow the cooking process so that the apples would have enough time to get soft.

Step 5:

















When the oats absorb the rest of water it's time to shut off the heat, and to add the remaining ingredients that need much less time to cook. Today I added cottage cheese and cinnamon.

You could also add egg whites (make sure the heat is off before you pour them in and whisk very quickly for about a minute), other spices like nutmeg or cloves, or nuts.

Step 6:

















Pour the oats into a pretty bowl and add your favorite toppings. Today I added a few more apple pieces, granola and a scoop of ultra creamy natural peanut butter. So simple and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment